If I’m not cooking, Snap Kitchen is my 100% go-to for quick, healthy eats. I have regular favorites: salmon salad, turkey chili, veggie lasagna. But the one I just can’t seem to get enough of these days is the bison quinoa. Yep, bison!
After eating bison quinoa for lunches in a row, I thought “Hey! I can totally make this”. After all, the ingredients are pretty visible and hashes are pretty flexible.
I added some hot Italian sausage to get some extra grease to sauté the veggies in, but you could get by with using 1-1/2 lbs of ground bison in lieu of sausage. And leftover hash is perfect reheated and topped with an over medium egg.
Bison, Sausage & Quinoa Hash
By January 13, 2016Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
If I'm not cooking, Snap Kitchen is my 100% go-to for quick, healthy eats. I have regular favorites: salmon salad, turkey chili, …
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized white onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil.
- Add quinoa to boiling water, stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer quinoa for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from heat, leave covered, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add bison and sausage to large frying pan and cook over medium-high heat until meat is fully cooked through.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from pan (leaving grease) and set aside in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the grease.
- Cook crushed garlic over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes, until onions start to be translucent.
- Add chopped peppers and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add cooked meat, kidney beans, and quinoa to peppers and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in cumin and paprika.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress