If I’m not cooking, Snap Kitchen is my 100% go-to for quick, healthy eats. I have regular favorites: salmon salad, turkey chili, veggie lasagna. But the one I just can’t seem to get enough of these days is the bison quinoa. Yep, bison!
After eating bison quinoa for lunches in a row, I thought “Hey! I can totally make this”. After all, the ingredients are pretty visible and hashes are pretty flexible.
I added some hot Italian sausage to get some extra grease to sauté the veggies in, but you could get by with using 1-1/2 lbs of ground bison in lieu of sausage. And leftover hash is perfect reheated and topped with an over medium egg.
Bison, Sausage & Quinoa Hash
By January 13, 2016Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
If I'm not cooking, Snap Kitchen is my 100% go-to for quick, healthy eats. I have regular favorites: salmon salad, turkey chili, …
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized white onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil.
- Add quinoa to boiling water, stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer quinoa for 15 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from heat, leave covered, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add bison and sausage to large frying pan and cook over medium-high heat until meat is fully cooked through.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from pan (leaving grease) and set aside in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the grease.
- Cook crushed garlic over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes, until onions start to be translucent.
- Add chopped peppers and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add cooked meat, kidney beans, and quinoa to peppers and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in cumin and paprika.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
Thank you for posting this! I used 1/2 lb of turkey italian sausage and forgot to get red kidney beans. Had a can of cannelini beans (white kidney beans) and it was amazing. My husband loves it and now we have a lunch go-to.
You are so very welcome! I’m glad you and your husband enjoy the recipe!
Valarie McLeckie says
This was pretty close to snap! However, I recommend using red quinoa and a red onion in lieu of quinoa and white onion if you want it to be just like snapkitchen’s. Also, snap’s has cayenne pepper and green onions in it and no yellow bell pepper as well.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely made modifications to make for a more colorful dish 🙂