A grilled cheese is the perfect platform for all sorts of goodness. Hearty wheat bread, extra sharp cheddar, caramelized veggies – this wasn’t the kindergarten kind.
I purchased a mini whole wheat boule at the grocery store on my way home from work. It was cute and screamed portion control. Truth be told, I would have finished whatever sized sandwich that was placed in front of me. So tonight, the mini-er the better.
Caramelized Veggie Grilled Cheese
By December 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
A grilled cheese is the perfect platform for all sorts of goodness. Hearty wheat bread, extra sharp cheddar, caramelized veggies - …
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 1/4 slices sharp cheddar (see picture above)
- 6 crimini mushrooms sliced
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium sized frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Add shallots and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until caramelized.
- Add a handful of spinach and stir until spinach is wilted.
- Place half of the cheese on once slice of bread and the other half of the cheese on another slice.
- Add half of the veggies to one slice of bread and the other half of the veggies on another.
- Sandwich the veggie halves with the cheese halves.
- In the same frying pan, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the butter and cook over medium heat until the bread is browned, checking frequently.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- Place the sandwiches back in the pan, uncooked side down, until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress