Noodle-less soup was a tough concept for me to grasp tonight. Austin is rainy and rain totally calls for noodles. But I’ve been trying to do this bootcamp, green smoothie, minimal dairy, minimal grain thing – so I got creative. And by getting creative, I mean getting simple. Super simple.
The shredded chicken and spinach gave this soup enough heartiness that your mind didn’t wander towards thoughts of noodles. And adding egg to the chicken broth made this soup nice and creamy, giving the illusion that dairy was invited. Dee-lish!
Chicken Spinach Lemon Soup
By October 31, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Noodle-less soup was a tough concept for me to grasp tonight. Austin is rainy and rain totally calls for noodles. But I've been …
- 3 chicken breasts
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 3 lemons juiced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- salt to taste
- white pepper, to taste to taste
- jalapeno for garnish
- Place chicken breasts in a medium sized pot and fill with water.
- Boil chicken over high heat for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Shred chicken.
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth and lemon zest to a boil.
- While broth is boiling, whisk eggs and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- While whisking, gradually add 1 cup of boiling broth to the eggs and lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to low and add the eggs and lemon juice to the remaining broth.
- Add spinach, chicken, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with diced jalapenos or crushed red pepper flakes for added spice.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress